Tuesday, May 26, 2015

QUIZLET FLASHCARDS: Studying & Differentiating Made Easy

I love QUIZLET! You love Quizlet! We all love Quizlet! But I'm surprised to find that some teachers (and students) are not aware of all of the amazing features that Quizlet offers. This year, I don't think that I would have survived without Quizlet. It has been my go-to resource for creating study guides and review materials, for differentiating instruction, and for creating multiple versions of tests and quizzes. If you have never used Quizlet before, it's well worth your time to set up an account. It's a website that allows teachers to create sets of flashcards online (it's available as a phone app, too), and then share them with students. It's absolutely free and it will become your best friend! Let me show you my 3 absolute favorite features.

1. Making Practice Tests. I love using Quizlet to create review materials. My honors students begged for study guides as we went through our mythology unit. They were having some difficulties remembering all of those Greek and Roman names and needed multiple exposures to them, so I created sets of flashcards on Quizlet, and then printed multiple (practice) tests in different formats: write response, multiple choice, matching, and true/false. Here is a sample test containing each question type.

A sample test with all four question types

2. Differentiating/Adapting Your Assessments. You can completely customize your test to suit your needs, or the needs of your students. For example, if you want to use a Quizlet-generated test, you might give most of your students a written response test, but print a multiple choice test for students with testing accommodations. I like to give multiple practice tests, starting with something easy (like a true/false test) and then making them progressively more difficult (written response) as a scaffolding technique to prepare students for the actual test. And, each time you click on the "Create New Test" button (shown in the above picture), Quizlet creates a new version of the test, so you can make as many different versions as you need. This year, my student desks were arranged in pairs, so I create two version of everything. Quizlet saved me so much time!

3. Providing Instructional Scaffolding. Quizlet makes it so easy to share materials with students. By clicking on the Share option (shown below), Quizlet creates links for you to share your Quizlet set on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. It also generates a short URL address that you can give to your students (which can be shared through email, posted on a class website, or texted to students and parents via Remind). When you share, you're not just sharing flashcards; you're sharing access to practice tests and review games, too. I once had an honors student who was really struggling on weekly vocabulary quizzes, until he started using my Quizlet sets, and then he aced every single vocab quiz for the rest of the year. He would come in early every morning and play review games until he had mastered the week's vocabulary words. All he needed was access to resources that would empower him to succeed!

The Short URL is perfect for sharing with students.

Do you love Quizlet, too? How do you use Quizlet in your classroom? Tell me about it in the comment section below. Next time, I'll show you how to turn your Quizlet sets into crossword puzzles and word searches!

3 comments:

  1. Great information to say the least. I really do appreciate everything so much from this great website.

    PSLE tuition

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every course is taught by the best teachers and conducted in an engaging manner to keep students involved.

    psle english tuition in singapore

    psle english tuition

    ReplyDelete